ABOUT FONFONEATA & THOMAS|
At a mere fifty metres from the Town Hall of Ghent, the superb old city of Emperor Charles V,
there is an antiques shop that is worth going out of your way to see. The building on the corner of
the street is made of light yellow bricks in Art Nouveau style. Dating from 1907, this house is owed
to the talent of the architect H.V. Vaerwyck, who also designed the superstructure of the exceptional
Ghent belfry a mere 100 metres away. This is the realm of a couple of youthful antiquarians.
Caroline’s parents ran an antiques business in the nearby quartier known as "Bij St Jacobs", the area
surrounding the St Jacobs church, a spot well known to Ghent bric-a-brac lovers and others for its
antique shops and its weekend flea market.
The encounter between Caroline and her husband, Emil Fonfoneata was decisive in the selection
of items offered in the shop belonging to her parents, which they took over. Gradually they left
behind general antiques to concentrate on high-quality silverwork.